Well it's been a while since I've blogged or even looked at the Cam23 blog since I've been off with a nasty virus for nearly two weeks. I'm back to work today though fighting fit and with a new Toy Story 3 lunchbag (to go with my buzz lightyear desk tidy......yes I am turning 27 next week!)
Anyway, on to another new tool - Delicious. I have heard of it but must admit had no idea what it was. I was hoping it was going to be about cake but I was severely disappointed. Not for long though - Delicious is great! I have copied all my favourites to Delicious and added a button to my tool bar which will take me staright to them. If I do the same on my laptop I will have access to all my bookmarks where ever I am in the world - result!
Setting up an account was easy - I just used my Yahoo login (hurrah!) and copying my favourites over from my work PC took a couple of attempts but I got there in the end. Delicious was kind enough to tell me how many other people have made some of my favourite their favourites (not many, as I suspected!)
I've sorted my bookmarks into two catagories - work and play - and when I have more time I will subdivide.
Will it be useful for work? Without the ability to put bookmarks in folders I would say no because where ever I log on in the library I can access my bookmarks but because of this facility I can organise them to my hearts content and hopefully save some time looking for them! As for whether it's useful for libraries in general - I think it is. I can imagine staff running user education sessions giving out the details of a Delicious account filled with useful further reading and information. Sure they could do this anyway but how much easier is it to be able to do it online rather than typing endless lists to print out? I would also think that readers might be more willing to explore if they can just type in one address and follow the links rather than having to type in page after page of web addresses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm starting to explore Delicious to see if this a better way of displaying some of the free resources we currently have listed on our web pages.
ReplyDelete