Friday, 23 July 2010

Thing 15 - LibraryThing account


Today I set up my LibraryThing account. Setting it up was much less annoying than on other sites because they don't really want to know anything about you - not even your email address in fact (although I gave them mine because I am regular sufferer of password fatigue).

After I had set up my account I added a few books to my Library (although I would prefer to call it a bookshelf since there's not that much on it), added a few favourite authors to my profile and created some tags for my books (see my pretty word cloud above). I then had a look at the profiles of other people who have added the same books as me and browsed some of the message boards. I started to read a thread started by people attempting to read 75 books in 2010. Impressive considering I don't think I've read that many books in my life! Even more impressive was the 100 books in 2010 thread! I think next year I might attempt to read a book.....

2 comments:

  1. Wow I think 75 books in a year is an awful lot - I definitely wouldn't achieve that!
    Do you think LibraryThing would be a useful addition to your Library? We use CamTools to promote new books to our academics so not sure if it's for us at the moment. Still it's fun as a personal tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see it being that useful in a library as big as the UL but for a smaller library I think it could be used effectively. As a personal tool I think it's brilliant and I've actually read a book and a half this week in order to try to add them to my library!!! That's about a year's worth of reading!

    ReplyDelete