Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Thing 16 - Facebook

I've been on Facebook for about 3 years now. I generally use it to see what's going on in people's lives and have reconnected with people who I haven't seen since I left primary school in Oxfordshire and moved to Cambridge 16 years ago (how to depress yourself in one easy sentence!) After an initial series of catch-up messages I've found that I don't really have much to say to them except to comment or 'like' the occasional status update and I actually spend more time commuicating with people who I still see on a regular basis....like Neil who sits about 4 metres away from me! I have found it really useful to keep in touch with book fetchers who leave and it's great for organising events (if you need a bit more detail than a doodle poll can allow!) I even join or 'like' the occasional group. But here's the snag - once I've joined a group I rarely look at it ever again. Which is why I can't really see that Facebook would be useful for Libraries. If I'm bombarded with status updates from groups I've joined I get annoyed and leave the group. Basically if I want info about a place or product I'll look at their official website - not their Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done my Facebook Thing yet, so I'm not sure what real use it will be for our Library. We already have a CamTools site for all our students which they are automatically registered on when they start their course - a Facebook account would only duplicate that role.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically if I want info about a place or product I'll look at their official website - not their Facebook page.

    Exactly

    ReplyDelete