Monday, 2 August 2010

Thing 19 - Web 2.0 marketing

So Thing 19 is to blog a few thoughts about using web 2.0 to market libraries. I'm not sure I've always managed to link all the Things so far to libraries but have rather commented on whether I would find them useful for my work. The reason for this is simple - the UL is a huge place and I only do one job in it. My role is largely customer service based and therefore I don't really know if, for example, LibraryThing could be used effectively in the Library because I've never catalogued a book in my life. I've really just had to guess. I am finding commenting about web 2.0 marketing equally as difficult.

I think I've made it clear in my previous posts about Twitter and Facebook that I don't really rate these services from a marketing perspective. If I want information about a service or product I will go to the official website for information. Only if the website is lacking in detail would I look elsewhere. So assuming that your average library reader feels the same way it seems much more vital to spend time making the Library website as easy to use, informative and useful as possible. Having said this, releasing bite-sized chunks of information via Twitter could be useful as a reminder of opening hour changes, new exhibitions or important new aquisitions. I'm not sure this is essential to regular readers but could draw the attention of readers who are more infrequent visitors.

One thing strikes me about 2.0 marketing for libraries - who knew that the UL had a twitter account? Would I ever have stumbled upon it if left to my own devices? Probably not. It's great to provide it for those who take the time to search Twitter for it but I didn't know about it and I work here!! If you have to market your marketing aren't you just causing yourself twice as much work? Just because the technology is available, it doesn't mean you have to use it. I would much rather see time and resources put into creating a really useful UL app for smartphones. It's great to see the UL investing in a website which is compatible with mobile internet but an app would be the icing on the cake.

The Cam23 blog asks us to talk about one particular marketing strategy we will use in our Library's after Cam23. Because I am not in a position to do this at the UL (surely things like this have to go through the SMT) I will just finish this post by saying that whilst I may not get to (or want to) use all of the 23 Things, I do at least now appreciate that they are out there and that they are there if I want to use them.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is how I feel about marketing in the context of the UL. Um, not really up to me... I can't write my blog post because of that.

    Librarianintraining called it "fantasy librarian" which sounds vaguely dodgy but actually is the only way I think I can approach the question - "if I were the Librarian for a day then what would do about marketing". Though Librarianintraining cleverly also arranged herself a nice office, can't just spend time thinking about marketing on that one day can you?

    ReplyDelete