I've downloaded podcasts from itunes before. It's pretty easy but I find they usually just clog up my library and I never listen to them. I then resent them filling important space on my iphone which could be filled with episodes of Buffy the vampire slayer. I'm not really much of a listener - I prefer to read articles and if I do listen to something it's usually music. I find DJs ridiculously annoying (Evans and Moyles - I'm looking at you!) and radio 4 bores me to tears (sorry Josh). I think I'm in the awkward position of being too old for Radio 1 but too young for Radio 2. I haven't listened to local radio since I heard a particularly stupid female DJ describe Shark Tale as "a follow up to Finding Nemo" - Stupid, stupid woman! Anyway I seem to have got off track....
Podcasts - the reason I've been waffling on about radio stations and DJs is because a lot of them seem to do podcasts and I have never seen the point of this - it's just another show but not broadcast live and another excuse for people too ugly to be on telly to show off. I do think the format is good though but (for what seems like the millionth time) only if you have something interesting to say (and someone with a bit of charisma to record it.) I have my doubts that any library could produce a regular podcast which wouldn't immediately lull an innocent reader into a deep deep sleep......
YouTube - don't get me started on this because the rage is soon going to boil over.....
Why oh why are the Cam23 team trying to make YouTube about work????? YouTube is for watching Ninja cats or Japanese game shows or cute kittens falling off things or Simon's cat or baseball fights or just about anything that will distract you from the cold harsh reality of life (and life, if you hadn't noticed, contains an awfully large amount of work!) Why would anyone want to use YouTube to look up library stuff??? Come on! I'm not saying that videos won't work but they shouldn't be on YouTube. YouTube is for entertainment and Libraries are not entertaining. That infamous Librarians do Lady Gaga clip isn't funny - it's just tragic (and just ever so slightly creepy!) Library websites are for libraries so put your videos on there and leave YouTube for incomplete episodes of America's next top model!
Rant over...for now.
Oh this really really made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteAnd also made me think, hm, you can put episodes of Buffy on an iphone? I think I may need one of these gadgets...
All that you've said is so so right. It made me smile with the familiarity of it all. You've found a kindred spirit. I prefer to read things as well and I barely listen to the radio too. I couldn't get through the day without music. Buffy is amazing and the Finding Nemo Shark Tale anecdote made me so mad. How could she compare Disney with DreamWorks?
ReplyDeleteHowever YouTube isn't just for entertainment, there have been successful political campaign videos on there, but then I am trying to defend it as we're going to start filming our new library induction video today, which is hopefully going to be funnier than the Lady Gaga one. We've been promised that if it falls flat, it'll never see the light of day.
I'm glad you found it entertaining. It was written while I was in a complete funk about, well everything and it probably shows!
ReplyDeleteNow you see, a Library induction video sounds great but for me YouTube is entertainment all the way. I would never even think to search for a library video or a politcal campaign video on it - probably because I would never want to watch a library video or political campaign video in the first place;-) I guess what people watch on YouTube is as personal as what they watch on TV or which books they like to read. Good luck with your induction video - which Library is it for?
Iphones are the best invention of the 21st Century hands down! As well as many episodes of Buffy I also have Watchmen and a ton of music. I have Monopoly, Scrabble and The Sims to play and I've just downloaded the apple ebooks reader. In short - I can never complain I'm bored!
Oh, and sometimes people phone me on it too!
ReplyDelete